Sanctus Est

“Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God.” - G.W. Carver

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Update and Norse Mythology!






(Yggdrasil the world tree)








Hello!

Well I've been reading Norse Mythology for the past few weeks
out of interest. I picked up the book because someone I knew was
a pagan and worshipped the Norse gods. She said that she could
worship any type of god but the Norse were the ones she related
to the most. I'd never met a pagan before and asked her some
questions. It got me wondering why the Norse Mythologies
would relate to her so much. It's been in the back of my mind for
quite a while.

Anyway, after that, I caught the book lying on a table after one
of my bros used it. So I started reading. I was suprised to see how
familiar they seemed. I read some of them when I was younger
but reading them again, I realise how much of an impact
they've had on England. I've grown up reading The Narnia
Chronicles and loved it. Then watched the Lord of The Rings
later and read some of the book. Both classics are based on the
Norse myths. Narnia in places and LoTRs almost completely!!!!!

The Anglo-Saxons' myths are based on/are the Norse and
I know that Tolkien studied Saxon Literature. So two
classics based on ancient Saxon/Norse mythology. Then
I found out that our days of the week are named after Norse
and Saxon gods and godess' as well as festivals like Easter
and there are others I can't remember lol. But the whole
bunny and egg thing aparently came from saxon tradition,
not just the name 'Easter' and not only that but Christmas
is on the day of what used to be a saxon festival. Our word
'Hell' even comes from Norse Myth. It comes from their
goddess Hela who was queen of the underworld. I know too
that our language is similar to the Germans in structure.

No doubt could find out more!

Anyway, I thought it was exciting. Just wanted to share!
It's amazing what we've inherited from ancient peoples. It's
comforting to know that after thousands of years, not
everything gets wipped out. People that died long ago
have left us with contibutions to language, art,
entertainment and traces of their own lives. We have
inherited some good things from the past. For me,
this emitts a sense of eternity in humanity.

Another update: I've ordered a cool ring!!!!
I've wanted to have one to symbolise my eternal
realtionship with God. Got the idea from the whole purity
ring concept. This is to symbolise my ongoing
relationship with the Trinity. I got this:


'Polished, all-round enameled
band in Early English style of
medieval tiling.' :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home